Pages

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

HAPPY UGADI TO ONE AND ALL!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s that time of the year where one looks forward to celebrate with family and friends with elaborate feast. More than the food, it’s more to do with the start of a new year which so explains the term “UGADI” meaning a new beginning. This term is used in the states of Andhra Pradesh and Karnataka. This Festival is celebrated in Maharashtra also but they call it GUDI PADWA.

Traditionally the day starts with eating “bevu bella” meaning neem leaves with jaggery symbolizing both bitterness (sadness) and sweetness (happiness). This is eaten to accept both joy and sorrow equally in life. On this day South Indian homes make an elaborate spread which consists of rasam, sambhar, parpu (plain dhal), any vegetable curry, obbattu , payasam (kheer), mango vogare (which I have already given the recipe for), ambode and much more. Instead of making obbattu I made besan ladoo. The recipe is mentioned below.

1 comment:

Lisa Turner said...

I've added your blog to my blogroll. I hope you will make a mushroom dish for No Croutons Required. I'd love to see what you come up with. The deadline is the 20th of this month.