Potatoes – Medium sized (4-5)
Onion - 1 big
Tomatoes – 2 to 3
Curry leaves – 1 strand
Coriander leaves - ½ cup
Cumin seeds -½ tspn
Mustard - ½ tspn
Asafetida – pinch
Garam masala – 1tspn
Turmeric powder - ½ tspn
Red chilli powder – 1 tspn or more according to your taste
Gram flour (besan) – 1 tspn mixed with water
Oil – 1 tbl spn
1. Pressure cook potatoes with salt and water; peel and mash them.
2. Take oil in a pan; add mustard, cumin seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, onion and fry till the onions turn transparent.
3. Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, garam masala powder and red chilli powder. Fry till the oil separates.
4. Add the mashed potatoes, salt, and little water. Boil this for 5-6 mins and add the gram flour mixed with water. This helps in binding the saagu.
5. Finally check for salt and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
This Saagu goes best with Rave Idli (Semolina Idli) and Coconut or Raw chutney. You can also serve it along with Dose and Chapathi too!
This one is heading to Srivalli's Curry mela!